Winter Thaw



Winter Thaw is another print in the 12 Views of the Shiawassee River series. It was a bright day in late January. We were traveling the back roads near Fenton when we came across this area of the river thawing at a little one lane bridge. The bushes had berries that turned a bright red and they were full of happy birds!


I have been remiss in that I usually just post the print and never the process. I can only say it's because I forget to take pictures. I might take the first couple but then forget to take the rest. So this time I made a point of taking every step. Ok, I missed one........but at least I consciously tried!
Step one:
I laid in the far background.

Step two:
berry bushes

Step 3:
Deepened red on near bushes and added some reflections

Step 4:
Sky and reflected blue

Step 5:
Shadow on ice edges and added trees

Step 6:
Deepened water

Final print:
I added shadow along the river banks and deepened color on trees.

I was rather intimidated to do a winter scene but I really like how it turned out.

9 comments:

JanB said...

I LOVE that you have the process shown, really adds an extra touch and makes me, once again, appreciate the beautiful prints you create even more as I realize all the work that goes in to each one! KEEP IT GOING GIRL!

JanB said...

OH, forgot to tell you that the new print is AWESOME!

Debra James Percival said...

Gorgeous print Linda!

Diane Cutter said...

It's a beautiful print... very subtle color making for a gentle winter scene... makes me want to be there. I love the upload of your process; thank you.

Annie B said...

Wonderful to see your process! Thanks for taking the extra time so you could show us. This print is especially painterly. Very lovely. And you used river water?

Linda said...

Yes, I did use Shiawassee River water for this print. I forgot to say that.

Ellen Shipley said...

I love the whole process. The colors are so soft and wintery.

Maria Pinto said...

wowww! awesome print!

Daniel L. Dew said...

Very, very nice print. I agree with everyone! You captured the "essence" of the scene extremely well.